States of Matter – Response to Text
Answer each question to the best of your ability, using full sentences and make sure to include detail in your responses.
- What are the three states of matter commonly found on Earth, and what are TWO of their properties?
|State #1:Solid||State #2:Liquid||State #3:Gas|
|Property #1:Solid is a hard substance like brick or wood. There are many different ways to create the substance of liquid.||Property #1LIquid is a wet substance like juice or water liquids can be shown in many different ways just like the image right above.||Property #1Gas is an airy substance. It is just air like farts,Oxygen or steam.|
|Property #2:Solids can be created from liquid like when you shake cream in a jar it transforms into butter.||Property #2 Liquids are an easy type of substance that is very easy to get into things.||Property #2 You can create steam by boiling hot water in a pot and steam is formed.|
- What is the fourth state of matter called?
- What happens to the speed of molecules when the temperature increases?
- They move quicker#
- They move slower
- They move at the same speed
- They explode.
- Explain what happens to the molecules in a liquid when they are cooled down to their freezing point.
|the average energy of the molecules decreases|
- Explain what happens to the molecules in a liquid when they are heated to their boiling point.
|More energetic ,molecules change to a gas,spread out,and form bubbles.These rise to the surface and enter the atmosphere.|
- What could be the reason for the fact that gases can be compressed more easily than solids or liquids?
|Gases are compressible because most values of a gas is composed of the large amounts of empty space between the gas particles.|
- Explain how each of these jobs might need to understand and work with different types of matter. (You may need to research to find out more)
|Compressed air||water||Dry ice|
|Welder||carbon dioxide||welding fluid||Metal|