- When, and where was Tupaia born?
- a) Around 1825 in Rā‘iātea
- b) Around 1725 in New Zealand
- c) Around 1825 in New Zealand
- d) Around 1725 in Rā‘iātea
- Rā‘iātea is a part of which larger group of islands?
- a) Samoa b) Tahiti
- c) Rapa Nui d) Micronesia
- What was the name of the British official sent to secure British rule over NZ?
- a) William Johnson b) Abel Tasman
- c) William Hobson d) Captain James Cook
- One day, more people would come – a different kind of people altogether. They would arrive on a canoe with no outrigger and would change everything: “And this land will be taken by them” Vaita said.
Did this prophecy come true? Explain.
→Samuel Wallis and his men stayed in
Tahiti for five weeks. During this time,
They got to know Tupaia. When James
Cook’s Endeavour arrived two years
- Only about 20 of the painted hoe that were given to Captain Cook in 1769 by Māori survive.
- a) True b) False
- Describe the role that Tupaia had on board the Endeavour – what did he do on Captain Cook’s ship?
→he help them go the right ways like a comepas
|WORD||DEFINITION||YOUR OWN SENTENCE|
|interpreter||a person who interprets, especially one who translates speech orally or into sign language.||So other knows what they saying|
|diplomat||a person who can deal with others in a sensitive and tactful way.||They can tell other to do and other can’t|
|indigenous||of people inhabiting or existing in a land from the earliest times or from before the arrival of colonists.||Other people took land first|
- Explain the four reasons why Hoe were important, and special pieces of technology for Maori.
Mātauranga Māori will articulate and include both physical and non-physical values such as mahinga kai species, swimmability, sense of place, identity and relationships, and wai tapu and the positive and negative influences of these values
- Tupaia (up until recently) and much more Polynesian history remains oral history (that means told by speaking). How can we ensure that this history is available to learn for future generations? Try to come up with at least 2 ways.
→ Although Tupaia was eager to sail west, Cook had other, secret orders from the Admiralty: to search for the anticipated continent of Terra Australis.